Bidayyat for Audiovisual Arts is organizing a workshop for young filmmakers, under the supervision of trainers Arne Bro, Head of Doc & TV-Department at the National Filmschool of Denmark and Lotte Mik-Meyer, Documentary Director & Film Commissioner, FILM WORKSHOP Copenhagen.
The workshop will take place in Lebanon from the 18th till the 22nd of December 2017.
Only 8 applicants will be selected due to the nature of the workshop that necessitates a small number of participants in order to better concentrate on their works.
The workshop is open for Syrians, Lebanese and Palestinians residing in both countries.
Syrians residing in Turkey and Jordan, who are in possession of valid travel documents, are also welcome to apply. Bidayyat will cover their flights and accommodation in Lebanon but they have to ensure that they satisfy Lebanon visa requirements.
What is the objective and method of this workshop?
The “Personal Voice” workshop focuses on the development of the director’s visual language.
Through short and intense visual assignments with small cameras and subsequent evaluations, the course focuses on strengthening the visual language of each participant, focusing on how does the filmmaker’s visual language relate to basic filmic concepts like main character, location and situation. Hopefully offering each participant more knowledge of his visual capacities, hopefully also making him more conscious of the constitutive visual elements of his specific pictorial language.
When will the workshop take place and who are the more qualified participants?
The workshop will be held in Beirut/Lebanon starting on Monday 18th and ending on Friday 22nd of December 2017.
The course is intended for documentary and fiction directors, editors, d.o.p, and producers working within the film & TV field who desire to develop their visual and conceptual storytelling skills and their individual pictorial language.
Participants have to accept working hours from 9 am to 9 pm and can hold no other working relation during the 5 days of the course.
Each participant will be provided with a small camera for the exercises.
To participate in the workshop, please send the following complete information (in Arabic or English) to the below mentioned email before 24/11/2017:
• Curriculum Vitae;
• Brief description (1 to 2 pages) about the motivation and basic ideas of your films or art works or cultural activities in case you are interested in another field (like poetry, painting, photography...);
• Explanation in 5 to 10 lines of the reasons why you would like to participate in this workshop;
• Short list of your art works (films, texts, photos, music…) accompanied by at least 3 photos from each work and its date. (Links to previous works if available).
Biography of the trainers
ARNE BRO (b. 1953).
Head of Documentary & TV Department of The National Film School of Denmark (NFSD). Educated as Director and Script Writer, NFSD. Has directed and produced documentary films and TV programs. Has founded and developed the documentary education and tradition at NFSD.
LOTTE MIK-MEYER (b. 1968).
Film Commissioner at FILM WORKSHOP Copenhagen. Independent documentary filmmaker. Developing, shooting and directing documentaries. Just premiered with RETURN OF A PRESIDENT (2017). Holds a master in Social Science and Media Studies (Roskilde University Center, Paris Jussieux VII and Durham University).
This course is a key element of the curriculum for documentary, as well as fiction directors, photography, editor and producer students at The National Film School of Denmark. It is offered to journalists, producers, editors, composers, production designers and decision makers of the film & TV field in Denmark.
Twice a year, the course is offered to selected media professionals (DRTV, TV2, TV3) and visual artists (video artists, graphic designers, poets, musicians, painters etc.) in Denmark.
Internationally, the course has been offered to media professionals since 2001 at places like:
- SUNDANCE INSTITUTE & TISCH SCHOOL OF THE ARTS, New York – Art of Non-fiction program
- BINGER FilmLab – Holland (Director’s and Documentary Director’s program, participants from all over the world)
- SABC (National Broadcaster) – South Africa (Director’s & Documentary Director’s program)
- YLE (National Broadcaster) – Finland
- Directors Training Center – Vietnam (Fiction directors)
- RTV (National Broadcaster) – Slovenia